participate in the nsna breakthrough to nursing project
As an NSNA leader, you'll learn and practice essential leadership skills by participating in the Breakthrough to Nursing (BTN) Project. The goal of the BTN Project is to increase the number of underrepresented students enrolled in and graduated from nursing schools. The following may be helpful when approaching faculty to explore the possibility of having your participation in the BTN Project partially fulfill course requirements or independent study elective. Use your course syllabus to see if you can meet the objectives with the following leadership activities.
BTN Leadership activities
- Serve as a member of the chapter's BTN Leadership Team (i.e., Board of Directors/Executive Board).
- Accomplish the goals and objectives of the BTN Project.
BTN Learning OBJECTIVES
The 2011-12 BTN Director shares his insights on tips for recruiting minorities and other underrepresented populations into the nursing profession.
Breakthrough to nursing (BTN) committee responsibilities*
BTN Committee team leader:
- Establish a Breakthrough to Nursing Committee at your school;
- Schedule BTN Committee meetings;
- Set an agenda and send out a call to meeting and chair the meeting;
- Develop and present written and verbal reports of committee's deliberations and activities to the chapter executive board and chapter membership.
BTN Committee Team:
- Read NSNA's Breatkthrough to Nursing Guidelines;
- Evaluate Breakthrough to Nursing and recruitment activities currently underway;
- Develop a theme for Breakthrough to Nursing Campaign (or reaffirm old one);
- Review NSNA's policies and resolutions that pertain to BTN;
- Identify 2 or 3 goals for Breakthrough to Nursing Committee to accomplish in 2 semesters;
- Publicize Breakthrough to Nursing activities by providing new items for school and state chapter newsletters and/or websites;
- Communicate activities to state and national Breakthrough to Nursing chairs;
- Serve as a liaison with faculty recruitment committee and school of nursing recruitment staff;
- Initiate and facilitate appropriate partnerships with community hospitals; medical centers and others to students into nursing;
- Submit your project for NSNA Breakthrough to Nursing award.
Copyright © 2021